When we can’t see clearly, we grasp at what we can. While we can’t correct vision without the help of lenses or surgery, there are some fundamental ways you can improve your eyesight and eye health on your own.
Improving eyesight naturally
The best way to improve your eyesight naturally is to give your eyes what they need to be healthy. A steady supply of nutritious foods and vitamins keeps your eyes — and your body in general — at their peak.
Vitamins and antioxidants
Two common vitamins and antioxidants shown to help improve eyesight include:
- Vitamin A (deficiencies hurt our supply of a pigment called rhodopsin that’s critical for seeing in low light and at night)
How lutein helps your eyes
Lutein is a pigment found in high concentrations in a layer of the retina where pigment-packed cells help shield against excess light. Solid scientific research shows that lutein supplementation aids this process in our eyes to naturally improve vision.
Fortunately, lutein is an antioxidant that occurs naturally in fruits and vegetables such as spinach, kale, and Swiss chard
Food for sight
Many of the vitamins and antioxidants that improve eyesight naturally are found in common foods, including:
- Carrots, kale, spinach, and collard greens (vitamin A and lutein)
- Liver (vitamin A), including cod liver oil
- Swiss chard, zucchini, and brussel sprouts (lutein)
- Sweet potatoes and butter (vitamin A)